14 June 2013

the grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter, either side of the hill

     My original reasons for living in Lao were to live in a warmer climate, in a place filled with friendly people, that was inexpensive to live, and live the simple, non-materialistic way they have lived for generations on end. The biggest reason, was to experience the lifestyle steeped in 2500 years of Theravada Buddhist beliefs. I have shown that the local people do not embrace Buddhist beliefs (in general, because I know one family that actually does), and I have shown that the simple, non-materialistic lifestyle is quickly fading away. As for friendly people, well my little village is not the place, but I am willing to give Pakse a chance to show me different. It is still a relatively inexpensive place to live, but I have not covered the warmer climate aspect.


COFFEE FIELD - BOLAVAN PLATEAU - NEAR PAKSONG

     I’ve been here before for the cool season Nov-Feb, and that is the perfect temperature of the year. The hot season Mar-June has been hard on my body. The first time it was over 40 C (110 F) both day and night, for days on end, I got sick, running a fever. My body couldn’t adjust to the continual heat. A Lao friend gave me some medicine, and I was better in a few days. A few weeks ago, it was again over 40 C both day and night, with the added bonus of near 100% humidity! You got it, I got sick again. I thought I was prepared, and took the same medicine as before, but this did not help this time. I went into Champasak, and checked into an aircon room at my friends guesthouse. Getting to a cooler environment helped, as well as some additional meds. What this has gotten me to believe, is that if I stay here during the hot season, I need to live in an aircon house. The problem with aircon, however, is that I get congested whenever I spend any time in an aircon room. Hmmm . . .

COFFEE PLANT IN FULL BLOOM

     Well, so, here I am. The last three blog posts have filled you in on my experience thus far. Now we are all in the same place of understanding. I sure thought things would move a lot slower here than they actually do. My reasons for living in this country have been crossed out, except the inexpensive living situation. I am not sure if that is enough to keep me here. I have time to think more before I make any decisions on my future. What I do know, is that I am quite happy with myself for having a dream, working toward it for years, and going for it! It was a HUGE move to get here, and I did it! And that makes me smile! Where I go in my future doesn’t really concern me, it will all work out. If I can get here and live this dream, I can do anything!!!

COFFEE FLOWERS - EACH ONE CREATES A COFFEE BEAN

No comments:

Post a Comment